The Hummingbird Center offers a Work Exchange program for people who have an interest in working for a month with the plant medicines. We are particularly interested in those with training in services which may be of interest to clients, such as massage, yoga, astrology, etc.
Duties are similar to those in the hospitality industry, primarily centered on customer service and ensuring our clients have a clean, comfortable environment in which to focus on their healing. In addition there will be opportunity for you to offer your particular skills to the clients if you desire.
Duties and Responsibilities
The work schedule is 5 hours per day, six days per week. Specific duties are detailed in a document you can download at the bottom of this page. They include, but are not limited to:
- Keeping the common areas neat and clean
- Maintaining the shower area
- Serving food and clearing the table after meals
- Washing dishes
- Setting up the moloca for ceremonies and energy workshops
- Assisting in preparing rooms for arriving guests
- Helping with grounds maintenance
In exchange for your work, we offer the following:
- Option to attend ayahuasca ceremonies as space and work duties allow. We typically have 10 ceremonies per month. Each ayahuasca ceremony attended will cost an additional 100 soles.
- Option to participate in a tobacco ceremony.
- Option to participate in a Huachuma ceremony (100 soles).
- Participation in circle meetings the day after ceremony.
- Plant baths and individual healing work, as recommended by our shaman.
- One 8 day dieta per month with a plant recommended by our shaman.
- Accomodation in a shared bunk house that accomodates three per room, with men and women separate.
- Three meals per day.
Cost of the Work Exchange Program
The cost of the work exchange program is $600 per month, plus 100 soles (Peruvian currency) for each ayahuasca and Huachuma ceremony attended.
Due to space limitations and the discounted price, work exchange places are limited to 4 per month. The program is for 1 month, with the option to stay a bit longer if space is available. Payment must be made at least 4 weeks in advance. See the application form for a bit more info on this. Payment details may be found on our Make a Reservation page
Applying for the Work Exchange Program
Additional information about the program is included in the application form that you can download below. You should read the application to determine if this program is for you. If interested, please clearly fill it out and email it back to us along with a scan of your passport information page. We will review your application and get back to you, usually within 2 weeks.
It is important to understand this is a "work exchange" program - in exchange for your work we considerably reduce the price of an extended learning and healing experience at our center. It is essential that this energetic contract is fulfilled!
We ask participants to arrive a few days before the !st of the month, and leave before the !st of the next month as the next group comes in. We will pick you up at the airport and bring you to the center.