PERSONAL HEALING RETREATS
The Hummingbird Center offers personalised healing retreats from 14 days to three months (or more by special arrangement) if you would like individual treatment or to learn more about ayahuasca, medicine plants - and yourself. A retreat like this can be extremely beneficial if you have a known condition or issue that you want to give attention to or if you would like to spend concentrated time working more intensively with ayahuasca and our shamans.
Personal retreat participants will share in the ceremonies and other activities of all other guests at the center. It includes all of the elements of the 12 day retreat with the addition of
- Private tambo set in the jungle away from the common areas
- An 8 day healing plant dieta with a plant selected by the shaman
- Additional healing sessions outside of ceremony
- Regular consultations and guidance with the staff and shaman
The Hummingbird Center has succcesfully treated a variety of conditions:
- Arthritis - After being on pain medication and lacking sensation in her feet for years, this 45 yr old client left pain free, flexible, with full sensation and walking normally after only two weeks of treatment.
- Alcoholism and Addiction - We have succesfully treated a number of clients for alcoholism and addiction to substances such as heroin, oxycotin and valium. This treatment requires a one month stay.
- Fibro Myalgia - This client had been in almost constant pain for 5 years, taking hydrocodone, a powerful opioid pain killer most of those years. They showed up barely able to walk, addicted to their pain medication, and left 6 weeks later very mobile, not needing medication and just about completely pain free. Their withdrawal from hydrocodone lasted only 3 days. Over a year later she has had no recurrence of any symptoms. See her review on Trip Advisor.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrom (IBS) - All stomach problems resolved, and able to eat legumes again for the first time in 1½ years.
- Anxiety and Depression - Not surprisingly, this is a common complaint of western clients comming to the Hummingbird. We have had exceptional results with this ailment, healing over sixty people with long term depression (15 + years). Please see Jason's testimonial below.
Initial stays of 2-4 weeks are recommended, as much can be accomplished in that time. Depending on the condition being addressed, more time may be necessary. For more difficult conditions, such as long term depression, we recommend booking for a month and seeing how the treatment goes. If more treatment is necessary, you can always extend your stay. Personal retreats may begin on any day convenient for you. We will meet you at the Iquitos airport and bring you directly to the center. Note we will be closed for all of January.
Personal retreats run in conjunction with our 12 day retreats and those in this program may participate in all scheduled activities if they choose. Cleansing steam baths and/or vomitivos (purges using special plants to rid the body of toxins) may also form part of your program, as well as empowering floral baths. You will also follow a shamanic dieta in order to facilitate healing. The specific plant dieted will be chosen by the shaman. In addition to ayahuasca, you will also participate in a few Huachuma ceremonies to further enhance the healing process.
Regular consultations will be scheduled for you with our shamans to discuss your healing and assess your progress, as well as guidance sessions with our counsellor. This typically results in greater clarity about the issue you are addressing and deeper insights into your path to wellness. Following your consultations other treatments and/or plant medicines may also be recommended for you. Again, there is no extra charge for these as they form part of your healing program. Those who join us to learn more about the shamanic use of plants will also receive instruction in how to prepare ayahuasca, along with jungle walks to identify medicine plants and their uses.
One of the rules of the dieta includes no chemicals on the body. This includes soap, deodorant, toothpaste, insect repellent and sun screen. You may use natural plant based products, so consider bringing those with you.
Those on personal healing retreats stay in a tambo (hut) in the jungle away from the common areas. You may arrive on any day convenient for you and, if you arrive before 5 pm, we will meet you at the airport and bring you directly to the center. Note that the 14th and 25th are not good days to arrive as that is the day we take the current group on an excursion and are gone for much of the day.
BOOKING YOUR PLACE
Personal healing retreats are based on an individual program so please contact us to tell us what you are looking to heal and when and for how long you would like to stay. Assuming space is available, you may arrive on any day convenient for you. Please take a look at the daily schedule of our 12 day retreat as it may influence your choice of arrival date. Once you have arranged your dates, you may download the booking form found on our Make A Reservation page and follow the enclosed instructions. Please be sure to also read our What to Bring and Medical Advice pages.
Please note the center will be closed for all retreats during the following dates:
July - 31
October - 31
January 2015, the entire month Healg Retreat
Email us at email@example.com .
The Hummingbird Center is dedicated to keeping this magical healing tradition accessible for all who are looking for an effective alternative to western medicine. While maintaining focus on our mission of healing and providing the highest level of individual care and attention, we will always be one of the lower priced premier centers in the greater Iquitos area.
The prices for personalised healing retreats are:
$1900 for 2 weeks
$2700 for 3 weeks
$3400 for 1 month
Please contact us to negotiate rates for other time periods.
Difficult (for me) to fathom that I am sitting here in front of my computer, home since Saturday. At first there was only relief at having survived (ha), but as I began to look back over my journal and tell the story of my trip to those closest to me, I was overcome with a sense of gratitude that seems to grow each day. I went to church on Sunday to worship God...that would be the same God I would have said didn't exist only two weeks ago. My therapist was astounded by my experience. He says that ayahuasca seems to have gotten me to a point of openness and awareness that he's been trying to get me to for years. He is encouraging me not to return immediately to an antidepressant, but rather to strike while the iron is hot and try to do some good work. I would certainly agree that ayahuasca is a dramatically powerful catalyst, but one that would have been disastrous for me were it not your guidance, kindness, and willingness to be patient with my anxiety. So, as you predicted, the benefits gained on my trip have not diminished upon return, rather, they actually seem to be deepening. Jason, America (personal healing retreat for spiritual emptiness, anxiety & depression)